Pages

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Sensing

I came across a short text by Meister Eckhart the other day, in which he talks about our outer self and our inner self, which are hinged in our center like a door. I just read the text in passing, but it resonated somewhere within me and inspired this piece. The print went through many stages of scraping, sanding and re-etching. The heavy editing and re-working of this plate was part of an exercise I imposed on myself to respond to marks I had already created. In the end the piece looked surprisingly like the ink sketch, which I didn't necessarily intend, although I did try to imitate some of the fluidity of the ink washes on the copper plate. It is a rather dark print, but I like the subtle tonal shifts in the background that happened through multiple soap ground etches. One of reasons why I wanted to translate the drawings into prints was that the cut out figures were just too separate from the ground I stuck them on. The looked too much like cut-outs. I wanted the figures and the ground to be on the same plain, to be more integrated in the image as a whole. 





















(Above)
Sensing.
Intaglio, Chine-Collé.
30cm x 30cm. 2014.

(Below)
Ink on Paper. 


No comments:

Post a Comment