Pages

Monday, February 25, 2013

Highpoint Impressions

After taking things a bit slower for the past few weeks, I just finished a small piece for an exchange portfolio. The print exchange is between 19 co-op members at the Highpoint Center for Printmaking, meaning we each get 19 different prints and it will be displayed at the Southern Graphics Council conference in Milwaukee/Wisconsin in March. I will attend the conference and I'm excited to see a bit more of the country, travel with friends, and of course, get inspired by meeting hundreds of other printmakers. 
The Portfolio theme was Osmosis, with the underlying suggestion to think about how we as printmakers at the co-op influence each others' work. Each one of the figures in my print is part of the co-op and I borrowed image elements from everyone in the piece to compose the landscape. The main idea of the piece was inspired by J.'s prints of the Mississippi and the stonearch bridge in Minneapolis. Above are the St. Anthony falls. I added C.'s rocks and lilypads, B.'s willow tree, P.s trumpeter swans, E.'s flowering hepatica, and a few other details, so the whole piece is put together of other people's image elements, but still very much my own. Oh, and the two people on the plaque in the center of the piece are Cole and Carla, the founders and directors of Highpoint. Thanks guys! Highpoint is a wonderful place to be...as you can see in my print. 

Highpoint Impressions.
Double-Plate Colour Etching, á la poupèe wiping, 
relief roll through stencil. 
18.5cm x 30cm. 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment