Pages

Friday, May 8, 2015

Transposition













Transposition IV.
Double-Plate Colour Etching, Digital Print, Chine-Collé.
60cm x 90cm. 2015.

As a final piece this past semester I wanted to work on a larger plate. My advisor has encouraged me repeatedly to open up the spaces in my images more rather than making my images quite so dense. Working on a larger scale again (24" x 36") allowed me to do just that, although it was quite difficult for me to know where to stop adding things. I also wanted to see if it works for my imagery to be combined with some digitally printed satellite images, which I collage into the piece. I printed the plate(s) in various stages, using some of the visual vocabulary I had tried out on the smaller plate before (see below).
In Transposition I, I etched a whole section of forest into the plate with the intention of scraping it away again. Before scraping it, I used the cow cut-outs again to remove part of the forest imagery (Transposition II and III) and in the final piece (see Transposition IV above) I added a second red plate to illustrate the expansion of ranch land and the beef production, with the intact forest being fenced in, protected in a a few limited nature reserves.












Transposition I.
Etching, Digital Print, Chine-Collé.
60cm x 90cm. 2015.

















Transposition II.
Etching, Digital Print, Chine-Collé.
60cm x 90cm. 2015.














Transposition III.
Etching, Digital Print, Chine-Collé.
60cm x 90cm. 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment