Pages

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Chaco - Soy Field




















Chaco - Soy Field. 
Double-Plate Etching, Chine-Collé.
15cm x 15cm. 2015.

I had signed up to make a small portfolio exchange print and since most of my work this semester revolved around cattle ranching, I decided to explore the direction of soy plantations a bit since, which is growing rapidly in the Chaco. I turned the forest upside down and juxtaposed the finely drawn, individual trees and cacti with the uniform and repetitive soy plants. Unlike much of the cattle ranching which (at least partially) benefits local ranchers, it appears most of the soy plantations are in the possession of foreign investors, which use the land and funnel the profits out. However, I need to do more research on this issue before I can make broad claims.

No comments:

Post a Comment