Pages

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Assiniboine River Trail



The Assiniboine River Trail is my most recent copper etching printed in the fall of 2009. I'm still finishing part of the edition of 20 up with the embossing and the hand colouring. This etching is part of several prints that explore narratives of Winnipeg. It is the largest plate I have worked with so far (55cm x 85cm). I considered making the image smaller at some point, but I just couldn't fit everything I wanted to tell into a smaller format and it was definitely a new challenge working in this size. Another new thing I tried with this print is the blind embossment that gives me the raised snow structures in the paper. I carved the tracks in the snow into a linoleum plate and ran the dampened print through the press again once the etching was dry. I'm very pleased how the embossment breakes up the white surfaces.

No comments:

Post a Comment